Modified on: Mon, 21 Oct, 2019 at 4:31 PM
Winston goes far beyond Pi-Hole, even without the browser extensions we offer for Firefox and Chrome.
A Pi-Hole provides the ability for you to specify domains to block and ad-blocking. But for ad-blocking it provides just host blocking.
Even without the browser extensions and for non-Firefox, non-Chrome clients, Winston provides this additional protection which Pi-Hole does not:
- Ad blocking based on request filtering, which is much more accurate than the host blocking which Pi-Hole provides
- DNS encryption, with protection against DNS rebinding attacks.
- A customizable, automatically updated blocklist of tracking and malware sites, to which you can add from well-known third-party blocklists and filters
- Distributed Privacy Mesh Network for anonymization
- A firewall
In addition, Winston adds these with the browser extension, currently available for Firefox and Chrome:
- Traffic analysis to analyze privacy risk and change security policies, modifying cookies intelligently and blocking risky connections
- On-the-fly whitelisting
Plus, with Winston, you're not managing a system of hardware and extensions on your own that may or may not work well together.
Did you find it helpful?Send feedback